Saturday, May 30, 2009

Farmer's Market

I was raised in southern suburbia also known as Mission Viejo....the town is know for great shopping, perfect California weather and it's close proximity to the beach. Every summer I would escape the sea of cement and spend time in Nebraska canning green beans, riding horses and eating as much sweet corn as my stomach could hold. One of those summers I fell in love with agriculture and I have not turned back. There are so many things I love about farming. FIRST, it is biblical. You reap what you sow. SECOND, farmers are hard working, loyal people. They work sun up to sun down, they sweat, they understand the power that God and this earth has on prosperity and they take seriously the responsibility of feeding this nation and much of the world. FINALLY, it is just a part of me. As much as my hair is brown is agriculture in my heart.

I have been sharing my passion for agriculture with Wade and Hunter....Farmer's Market is a part of this tradition of fresh food and food knowledge I am trying to share with my son. We picked up a wagon full of food today and as Hunter grows I cannot wait for him to learn all about where this food comes from....until then I hope it nourishes his body and strengthens his mind.

If you have the opportunity to support your local farmers you should and not only because it is good for the community but because the food will be good for your body.

Happy Eating.






No comments: