Friday, April 17, 2009

Metal Detector



The audit lasted over 7 hours. We examinded every log book, every training record, every rat trap and almost every inch of the facility. Every practice and procedure was quetioned. I learned many more things I could be doing to take the level of security even further. I also defended areas that I believed were more efficently sercure with my methods. Every audit I expierence makes me better at what I do.
We have one critical control point in the almond operation, the metal detector. If metal was packed with the almonds it could cause serious harm to someone. The metal detector is tasked with finding metal and rejecting it from the line. It is our last defense and our protector. We test it three times a day, we calibrate it, we clean it...all to ensure it will protect us.
Our Metal Detector is suppose to be fail proof...and of course on the one day I need it to perform at its best...it fails!

The moment those metal test strips were not rejected by the detector during the audit I had a heart attack. But thank God for policy and procedures. We noted the deviation and stopped the line. We reran all of the product since the last good check and re calibrated the metal detector. Corrective action equals a passing grade! We will pass after all!!
Today I got to thinking about a corrective action policy for my life. If I fail or someone or something critical in my life fails...what do I do next?

No comments: