Monday, March 23, 2009

Whose Your Boss?

Being a boss is not a walk in the park....In fact the longer I am a boss the more I realize the true burden of trying to shape and guide employees while holding them accountable to certain boundaries and expectations.

I work hard at being a good boss...meaning that I pay attention, I am grateful for those that work hard, I understand what tasks are assigned and how to do them, I am fair, caring and compassionate....But the truth is that I may think I am a GREAT boss (the best out there) and others may think I suck.

I put a great deal of effort and energy into preparing and planning in order to avoid misunderstandings and confrontations....however they are unavoidable when you are a boss. People always want to be paid more money and are looking for any job out there that will pay them more than I am paying. Perhaps that is the nature of the working world....but I will no longer be held hostage to increasing pay!

What really makes a good boss? What do you wish your boss did or did not do?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Made me feel like I had any value and was appreciated once in awhile.

mandy said...

I agree with your short little rant about being held hostage to increased pay. Seriously? I'd rather have a job that I LOVED that paid less than a job that I hated.

As for great bosses? In my experience, those who affirm what they see in me. That goes a long way.