Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Solar

For the past two months I have been working on proposals to replace some of our electricity needs with Solar Power! In the process of Hulling/Shelling, Packing and Shipping Almonds we use over $300,000 a year in electricity! I knew solar would be expensive, I knew solar would come with grants and government incentive for a business like ours, and in the long run I knew solar would have incredible financial reward...but I did not expect to have our carbon footprint outlined so simply.

By replacing one of our 9 electric meters with solar power it would be equal to planting 194 acres with trees.

I love that it was that simple for my heart to understand. I want this plant to be a place that is as wonderful for Hunter as it is for me. If we go through with this plan for solar I want to name my 194 acres of trees....aka our solar farm...Hunter's forest! Ha.

I really believe solar is going to happen in a big way for our country. I think it needs to. The rebates and incentives are tiered and over time they will disappear as more people get involved in solar. I also believe the technology will blow our minds in the years to come....I think of what the Iphone has done to cell phones and I have faith that something big is in the works for solar power.

Therefore it is really when not if for solar power. We each get to make that call. Same with DVD players...it was when will you toss your tape players and get a DVD player. Same with flat screen TV's, computers and so much more. But what I LOVE about solar technology is that it not only is cool but it comes without wires, it harnesses the primary God given source of energy and it makes our planet stronger and healthier.

I love solar.

No comments: