Friday, June 12, 2009

Grandpa's are dad's too!

Grandpa Doug! Hunter, you are his first boy....he has been dealing with girls for more than 27 years and now, finally, his boy is here. He can play rough, get dirty and talk sports. He beams with pride when he holds you and not because you are a boy but because you are his grandchild, his first. He takes time to come see you, he gets down on the floor and plays with you, he wants to be the one pushing the stroller and he prays for you constantly. He loves you. Soak it up son.

Dad, there are few places that I am completely at ease. When you are in the room, I feel so safe. I am free to me. I am loved just as I am. God created me and gave me to you and mom with great purpose and intention. My first year with Hunter has just helped me understand the depth and power of love a parent has for a child. Thanks Dad.

Thanks for not throwing me out when I was a punk
Thanks for taking me to Indian Princesses
Thanks for punishing me and for teaching me right from wrong
Thanks for loving my mother and giving me a true example of what a husband looks like
Thanks for putting me through college
Thanks for not turning your back on me when I was pregnant and not married
Thanks for walking me down the isle and giving me the wedding of my dreams
Thanks for putting mom first and Kristin and I second
Thanks for taking us to church every Sunday
Thanks for intentionally fathering me.

I love you.

No comments: