Monday, August 24, 2009

Keep your nose to the ground...













I keep trying to remind myself to just keep my nose down and focus on the task at hand. Harvest is here and it has come on stronger this year than any before....literally we went from nothing here to full in a matter of 2 days. This intense rush of product left me no choice but to work on Sunday.


During harvest there a few key components of the process that could cripple us. Empty trailers is one. We have 30 sets of trailers that the almonds are hauled in from the field to our place to be processed. If a truck arrives with a full load it will need to drop the full load and pick up an empty to take back to the field....if we run out of empties because they are all full then the trucks wait. When the trucks wait...then the fields and farmers wait...


Saturday we were not able to empty enough trailers for the farmers that were harvesting so there was no choice but to work Sunday.

Hunter and I jumped into the car around 6:30 and met up with a few of the finest people at Monte Vista Farming to get some trailers emptied. Hunter insisted on being the supervisor and drove around in the golf cart waving at people all morning. It was fun to have him with me...


These next few months are going to be full of almonds...and more work than I could ever realistically do. So I have to shut up, keep my nose to the ground and get done as much as I can. The good part is that moment I walk through the door I see Hunter's beaming smile and I am instantly recharged and ready to just be with him.


People need to work harder...me too. We all need to strap in, stop complaining and put our heads down to get the work done. There is always something that needs to be done.

No comments: