Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Wedding Rings


When I think about my wedding ring so many thoughts flood my mind. First, my love, my husband...I think of him on his knee in our living room...I think of our wedding day as he made a promise to me and placed it on my finger...I think of how much my heart swells with love, adoration and pride to know that I am his and he is mine. Thank you Lord for this man, for giving him a heart for me.


I also think about my great grandma Winey. It has been along time since she cut the crust from my peanut butter and honey sandwich or played a game of bridge with me....a long time....but I still remember her as vividly as I remember an event 10 minutes ago. She would rub lipstick onto her cheeks to "brighten them up a bit" and she would tuck money away on her bra "just in case" and she would adorn her neck with a string of colored beads and her ring finger with a diamond from the love of her life. I remember this precious diamond on her hand...and as I look at my own hand with that same diamond I think of her. Would she be proud? Would she love Wade? What words of encouragement and love would she whisper into my ear? I miss her.


Last night Wade and I were sitting on the couch exhausted after battling with Hunter to fall asleep as he is cutting a second molar (poor kid)...Wade looked over to my hand, took off his wedding ring and jokingly said "I guess I do not have to wear my ring either". You see I rarely wear my ring these days. Ever since I gave birth to Hunter it irritates my finger and a red itchy rash appears. On top of that I work in an almond packing plant and it is not only a dirty place for a sparkly ring, but the ring could be a food safety hazard at times...so unless we are going out for dinner on the weekend or it a special occasion the ring sits in the safe. It was not until last night that I knew this bothered Wade. The more I thought about it the more I realized if Wade was not wearing his ring, for whatever understandable reason, it would bother me too.


Rings ARE a big deal...a HUGE deal. They are the one physical symbol of the deep, faithful love between my husband and I. I NEED to find a way to get that ring on and KEEP it on.

No comments: